Saturday, September 27, 2008

Toastmasters Evaluation Contest - Area Level


Hello, peeps. Since I'm going back to Kluang in less than 24 hours, I have the "licence' to stay up all night, no?


September 26 2008, Nouri and I went to Sunway College to represent INTEC Toastmasters Club for two competitions, which were Humor Speech Contest (Nouri) and Evaluation Speech Contest (me).


Humor Speech is like any normal speech you have been listening to throughout your lives; the difference is that you must impress a group of old people. It's somehow a challenging and daunting task, you know. Old folks love lame jokes. Not only that the speech should be humorous, but moral lessons behind it should be significant as well. Time allocation: 5-7 minutes.


Evaluation Speech, on the other hand, is a speech in which you give your evaluations to a speech previously done by a test speaker. He/she will give a speech in front of everyone, and all contestants are to be quarantined for 5 minutes to prepare their evaluation. Time allocation: 2-3 minutes.


*****


I missed Nouri's speech during the club competition, since at that time, I was quarantined, but I had another chance to listened to him. Well, his speech title was "The innovative..."... Damn, forgotten. XD


Anyway, it was about durian. He told us about how foreigners despise not only the fruit itself, but also the sound of the very word 'durian'. Being creative as he has always been, he came up with "bengong" but brilliant and original ideas on the various uses of durian.


One word: crazy.


I personally think that he should have grasped at least 1st runner up, but reliable "in" person told us that he was penalized on dress code. He did not wear formal attire.


He got 2nd runner up, instead. Not bad. :D


*****

Evaluation Speech. Hmm... This was a different situation, however. Audience did not anticipate Evaluation Speech as much as Humor Speech, but it was quite lively as well. The test speaker was from Midvalley Toastmasters Club.


His topic? "Last Minute Speech".


But don't get deceived by his speech title. It is a lie, because the main points of his speech are revolving on cheating. It was quite interesting, as he stated that there is no such thing as 100% originality and that cheating is tempting, but the starting point of it is a point of no return.


So, with a complete script of his speech resting on the rostrum, was it really a "last minute speech"? I don't think so. :D


Talking about cheating, it actually reminds me of Mei Yueh's speech on cheating. Hers was much better because she made a clear cut between 'cheating' and 'lying'.


This guy was rather confused with these two different denotations.


Anyway, I got 2nd runner up as well. I watched how the champion gave his evaluation, and I noticed that he won by not giving and evaluation but 'indirect condemnation'.


I was being too direct and straightforward. Or too honest. The champion, however, was basically 'angkat bakul', you know. He even gave examples predicated on his way of speaking.


Not that it was a bad thing, but this shows that the world is full with selfish people who always think that they are of the better breed.


I'm contented with my achievement. That's the most important. :D

4 comments:

maggiesedapgiler said...

dude..i want to hear more from u..!!haha

Yuinyi said...

Okay. This is a nice post. =D How come it's a lil different from the way you normally write? Haha. Nice cert and trophy!

Pison The Great said...

Maggie,

Wut makes u wana hear more? :P


Yuinyi,

Different meh? In what sense?
Yeah, am proud of it! :D

Liz said...

hahhaha. angkat bakul always works =p somehow