I was proved wrong, long long ago, just that I didn't notice it.
You know why I want to discuss about this? Well, today I got my essay marks for SAT Practise Test 5; i got 4.5 out of 6!!! Arrghh... I just couldn't believe it!! Before this, I would never reach lower than 5, but this time it's so devastating that I actually screamed in class (in a polite manner. Hehehe... Wait. How do you scream politely???). Then, as my kiasuism shrowded my numb mind, I hunted for good scorers in Boston. And, as the title suggested, the good scorers happened to be the unexpected ones!!! Haiya..
Well, of course some of them do deserve the good marks (Chyuan, I salute you), but how bout the others? Hmm... maybe I should learn from them. Ironically, despite the high marks that they got for the essay, sorry to say that when it came to speaking, it was way off. OFF!!! Somehow, I thought that good writing skills reflect good communication skills (as you can see in Kate, Mei, Joash, blablabla...); it was totally the other way round...
This afternoon, we had a speaking test, and it was graded. Hate to admit it, but I kinda like Oral Comm. (O.C) class more than ever. Somehow, it's like a debate brainstorming session, whereby we had to think of points to talk about, and the time allocated to prepare was indeed insufficient. So, we were given a variety of topics, and my group chose,
"Video games are just for entertainment."
As usual, I started scribbling ferociously everything relevant that came across my mind, and my PLKN papernote was full with weird arrows and short forms. The same goes to Mei's; it wasn't for Ben's and Zul's. Mei & I were cracking our brains out, speaking very fast in the discussion, and trying to further branch our mindmaps so that we would not run out of points. Hey, it's better to have more points than not having anything to say at all, rite??
When the time was over, then Zul and Ben were so chaotic, anxiety shown on their pale faces. But, overall, I must be impressed with Ben because he really grabbed something from The battle of Minds (BOM); he was speaking fluently and eloquently. Some of my friends even said that my group held the presentation as if it was a forum!! Hehhehe... Well, nothing wrong with that.
It's a different case when i saw other group's performing. I must admit that Yang, Kate, Syafiq, and Mei were fabulous in the speaking test (they should consider Toastmasters), but what I want to tell you is that the competent writers were not competent speakers... This is an omen that everyone, including myself, should look upon. Take Chun How, for instance. He has been working on SAT even before he entered INTEC, but what matters me the most is that his excessive use of the letter ~s~... Maybe it's unavoidable, but somehow I believe that no problems has no solutions (except when the denominator is zero, though. Hehehehe...) On top of that, he needs help in pronunciation. The best part is, he's one of the most likely candidates to fly next year...
Chun How, I hope you won't read this, but this is my sincere comment, not an intended insult. Big mouths out there, if you read this, think of censurship. There's no need to spread the words around.
There are some others whom I don't have time to mention; even this is such a long entry.
In a nutshell, good writers are not necessarily good speakers; and vice versa.
What do you think?

No comments:
Post a Comment